Sunday, April 4, 2010

Blog Review



I thoroughly enjoyed Adriana Rodriguez blogs on modules 7 and 8...I only wish I could write that fluently. I chose to read her blog because I wanted to get a perspective from the southeast. I appreciated the fact that she found the TD resources as useful as I did. I am also jealous as I have not yet had the opportunity to visit the Chena Hot Springs. I just completed a small unit on radioactive decay and my students that had been to Chena found it intriguing as to how that water is heated! I also thought it was exciting that she had used a lot of her own pictures to prove her point and to add interest to her blog. It was of interest to me to find that in her area in southeast Alaska that climate change is beginning to impact the health of the deer offspring. Overall I felt that Adriana made great points backed up by data and other resources. Great job Adrianna!




The other blog that I chose to comment on was Franklin from Noorvik. It was cool to read his blogs coming from a completely different part of the state. Living in southcentral, it was interesting to read Adriana from southeast and Franklin from the Kobuk River area. He commented that the native people are seeing thinner sea ice arriving later and leaving earlier every year on the coastal villages. Storms are getting more vicious and homes, even at higher locations in the village, are in peril. As was mentioned in a prior blog, "those who contribute the least to the climate change problem, are being effected the most". A sad but true scenario! Franklin's comment of the negative impact of climate change in the Northwest Arctic villages is a discouraging but required task...those people are already challenged by the "modern world", and now are facing additional pressure from the changing climate. They are struggling to keep their cultural traditions, homes and lives intact. Thanks for your comments and enlightenment!

2 comments: